Psoriasis is a skin disease that allows cells to build up more rapidly than normal on the surface of the skin. The actual treatment for this chronic condition has not been found but it can be treated in a number of ways, which all have the same effect to reduce and minimize the fast growth of skin cells.
Moreover, bellow we present you with some natural remedies that have proved to be effective in managing the symptoms of psoriasis and soothing the rash and itchiness that come along with it.
Home remedies for psoriasis treatment
- Garlic oil
This herb, which is a representative from the onion family, is well known and widely used in traditional medicine. It has been used long in the past and still today to treat both common and minor ailments. Allicin, which can also be found in onions, is the substance that provides garlic with its amazing abilities.
Garlic, as a natural remedy is found to be helpful not only for psoriasis but for many other skin conditions too, this is due to its antioxidant, anti-bacterial and anti- inflammatory properties.
When added to the affected place, garlic is often known to induce a stinging sensation, although, this is not anything to think about. In case you experience this, just lessen the amount of garlic oil you use, and the feel will go away.
How to use
- Mix one tablespoon of Aloe Vera gel with one tablespoon of garlic oil and apply it on your skin.
- Let it sit for about 15 minutes then rinse off well, do so once a day for two or three weeks.
- Cool compress
One of the most unpleasant symptoms is itchiness itself, luckily a cool compress is a good way to relieve it, and it is also highly recommended by doctors.
This is a simple process that will help reduce the swelling and sooth the skin. Cold compress lessens the pain and inflammation by slowing down the blood flow to the affected area and this is a big plus because it also decreases muscle spasm.
However, ice must not be applied directly on your skin so simply wrap it in a towel or a cloth before use.
This remedy is commonly used to treat infections, ulcers, bronchitis, sore throat and it is widely cultivated in Greece, Turkey and some parts of Asia.
According to a study conducted in 2000, licorice root is one of the most used natural remedies in treating psoriasis.
Glycyrrhizin, an active compound found in licorice root, is in fact the component that gives this remedy its anti-inflammatory effect. If it has made its way through the body, it is processed through glycyrrehetic acid snd what’s so great about this is that its anti-inflammatory properties can be compared to those of cortisone
Other than psoriasis, this remedy may be used in the treatment of other skin condition that cause inflammation and itchiness.
How to use licorice root
- In a pot of boiling water add in two tablespoons of licorice root
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, then let it cool off
- Finally, soak a cloth in it and apply it on your skin. Do so three or four times a day.
Turmeric or also known as the “queen of spices”, has a wide range of benefits to your overall health. It is used in treatment of conditions as bladder-inflammation, gum- disease, arthritis, irritable bowl syndrome etc.
Psoriasis is among the numerous diseases that can be treated with turmeric, according to a study published by the AAPS Journal.
Curcumin, the compound which gives it a yellow pigment, is also the one responsible for its anti-inflammatory effect. Besides from toning down swelling, curcumin is found to be helpfulin preventing excessive multiplication of the skin, due to its ability to inhabit phosphorylase kinase ( an enzyme that promotes skin growth).
Dermatologist suggest that by applying a combination of curcumin and black pepper on your skin for four weeks, chronic itchiness can be severally reduced.
- 1 glass of hot milk
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- Dissolve the teaspoon of turmeric powder in the hot milk
- Ingest this everyday for two to three weeks
- Combine the listed amount of black powder and turmeric
- Add in the water and mix well
- Apply it on the affected skin areas. Do so everyday for a period of 14 weeks.
- Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera has been long used and it is well known for its medical and skin care benefits. Apart from its antimicrobial and antifungal properties, it has anti-inflammatory properties which make it most suitable for treating skin conditions.
How to use Aloe Vera gel
- First, break off the leaf to extract the gel.
- Next, apply it on a small part of your skin and wait for an hour to test it.
- If there is no swelling or redness, it is safe to use.
- Apply it on the affected area and let it sit for fewl hours
- Repeat the procedure three times a day for two to three weeks.
Sources & References: naturallydaily.com